- Made in the UK -
I am no longer modifying these Amps - The Following is for Information Only.
The C5H, 5 Watt Amp from Marshall in 'Head' Format. The Circuit Design is exactly the same as the Combo but the Internal layout is Different. As with the Combo it is an All Valve, Class A, Cathode Bias, Single Ended Design with NO Transistors, Chips, Digital Processing or SMT (Surface Mount Technology). It uses a 3 Stage Gain Circuit, without a Ton of 'HISS'. Limited 'Clean' Headroom, but Loads of 'Crunch' and 'Sustain'. The Amp has 1x 8 Ohm and 1x 16 Ohm Speaker Outputs. It does not include the 'Low Power Mode' fitted on the C501 Combo.
On the Test Bench the Stock Amp is Producing 5 Watts RMS and about 8 Watts Peak Power into 8 -or- 16 Ohms.
Same problem as the Combo - you have to run it FLAT-OUT to get the 'Classic' Marshall Sound, then it's too Loud for Home Use......RAT 'OPR' sorts that out......
The Circuit is Wide Open to some Great Modifications - So this is What I do -
- All Modifications -
2. - Master Volume Control - Allows Preamp Overdrive -or- Power Amp Overdrive -or- Both.
4. - Modified Tone Stack - Allows each Frequency (Treble, Middle and Bass) to sweep from 'Zero-to-Max'. The Standard C5H Tone Controls operate in a 'Preset Range'.
5.- Series FX Loop - 'Send' and 'Return'. The 'Send' Socket can also be used as a PREAMP 'Line Out' and the 'Return' Socket can be used for Direct Access to the Valve Power Amp (For External Preamps -or- Multi-Effects Processors).
6. - Variable Boost Footswitch - Switches the Internal Boost (Tone Bypass) circuit On-or-Off. The Footswitch is fitted with a Variable boost Level control (from Zero-to-Max) and gives a HUGE Boost to the MID Frequencies and Harmonics. The Footswitch is Metal construction with a 12 foot lead and 'Red' LED 'On' Indicator.
7. - Standby Switch - Carling Combination 'Off-Standby-On' Mains Power Toggle Switch fitted to all Amps.
8. - 2x Speaker Outputs - Impedance Select Switch - Dummy Load - 'Line-Out' Socket.
There are several 'Other' Modifications I do that enhance both Performance and Reliability.
Send me your Amp - The Above Modifications will make it Loads Better and you will be able to 'Crank it' in the Bedroom.
Excellent Pricing and Rapid Turnaround on this Amp.
Please 'Contact'Me for a Great Quote.
Click on Image to see more Photos
The Following Clips are a C5H Converted to 18 Watts.